|The School of Chemistry
|Why do Honours?
|SHOULD I DO AN HONOURS PROJECT NEXT YEAR?
|The answer is a resounding YES!
We would love to welcome you for your Honours year – the first year of a possible research career but so much more, a year where you make the transition from an undergraduate student to an independent scientist.
During an Honours year in the School of Chemistry you have the chance to do a major research project that you can help design and run, where you get to make your own decisions and manage your own time. You will complete your own, unique, piece of research being part of a research group of bright, committed and motivated people all working together to solve often difficult and challenging problems at the forefront of new science. It is an amazing experience.
The generic skills you will gain will be useful in any future career – academia and industry alike. You will:
Many studies have shown that completing an Honours year significantly increases your employment prospects, compared to graduates with a pass degree. An Honours degree also enhances your future career potential; the added maturity and independence, not to mention tenacity, you gain from the extra year of study is invaluable.
- develop time-management skills
- gain freedom to do independent research
- be trained to analyse scientific data and communicate scientific information in written and oral form
- learn to develop your own hypotheses, design experiments to test them, and use your results to refine your hypotheses or develop new ones. You will also learn a number of modern research techniques under the guidance of your academic supervisor to ensure your research is at the frontier of knowledge.
The School of Chemistry at the University of Sydney is one of the top chemistry schools in Australia as measured by publication outputs and grant income. The School is internationally recognised for the high calibre of its staff and research.
There are many new projects to choose from across all areas of chemistry - just take a look:
To help you decide what to do, take these four easy steps:
- Register with the Faculty of Science.
- Come along to the general information session. Chemistry Lecture Theatre 4, Tuesday, 12 September 2017, 12:00 pm to 1:00 pm. Just turn up. Lunch is on us!
- Come to the famous Chemistry Poster Session. Outside Chemistry Lecture Theatres 3 and 4, Wednesday, 13 September, 2017, 3:30 pm to 5:00 pm. This poster session is a great opportunity for you to talk to academic staff about possible projects in a relaxed atmosphere. Just turn up. Pizza and drinks are on us!
- If you've any other questions then just come and see me in room 358 on level 3 of the School of Chemistry, or go and speak about possible projects with our current Honours and PhD students or with academic staff. I *guarantee* they will be pleased to talk to you about their research.
Dr Girish Lakhwani
T: +61 2 9351 5783
|Information and Poster Sessions
|Please register with the Faculty of Science and once you have done this just turn up to the events listed below.
Honours Information Session
Tuesday, 12 September 2017
Chemistry Lecture Theatre 4, (Level 2) School of Chemistry, Eastern Avenue, The University of Sydney [Map]
Honours Poster Session
Wednesday, 13 September 2017
Outside Chemistry Lecture Theatres 3&4, (Level 2) School of Chemistry, Eastern Avenue, The University of Sydney [Map]